My discovery 
When Love happened.....

It was love at first sight.
It happened one beautiful summer afternoon in 2006, I had just finished my SSCE and was in Lagos for the summer break. 

I was at my cousin's place on the island, Lagos Island...Isale Eko ;ooh wonderful place (story for another time)

They had a salon and a fashion designing store just at the basement of the 3 storey building, but of course, I was more interested in the beauty parlor, the salon precisely.  I made friend with the stylists, and they became my padis(friends) too. 

This sunny afternoon, a customer walked in to make her hair, she washed her hair and when it was dry, she brought out the weaves she wanted to be installed for her.  That was when it happened. 

I fell in love! With human hair weaves!

There was something about the weave, the beauty, the luster, the silkiness, the softness, the feel of it on the hand when I touched it.

It was just "different".

It wasn't like the hair I was used to; the synthetic, “kanekalons” and fibers of all time. And right there, I just knew, I had to know more about this hair. I began asking the customer questions, after paying her more than enough compliments, of course. But you know women now, she began to "form" & "package" she said "It’s a Brazilian hair"; "I got it when I traveled to Dubai"…
How much? I asked, "90,000 naira" she responded. I was shocked!

"What?!" - 

Of course I concealed my surprise and shock, since I’m used to hiding the way I feel, so I just smiled and said "wow, "it’s beautiful"! When the stylist was done installing the hair, I was even more wowed! The hair was just too beautiful.  As we know there's this "posh" contemporary, celebrity- look human hair extensions gives you, the customer was transformed already, looking like she just stepped out of a magazine cover.

After she left, I was determined, although I didn't have 90k (ninety thousand naira) I, a Secondary School graduate on my summer holiday in Lagos awaiting my results- was going to get one.

I didn’t know anyone in Dubai, friend or foe. 

But trust me, I didn't let the hair stylist rest, I needed every information I could get, indeed, after much investigation, I was told I would could get some at the "eko market" also referred to as Balogun Market. I grabbed my cousin, the one who was my closest, due to our age group, “oya let's go to Balogun”! Balogun was a walking distance from their house.

I wanted Brazilian, sorry, ‘Human’ hair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Becoming A Virtual Assistant